The Maryland Ornithological Society is for birds, birding and birders!
The Maryland Ornithological Society (MOS) is a nonprofit, statewide organization serving people interested in birds and nature in the state of Maryland. Founded in 1945 to promote the study and enjoyment of birds, MOS and its fifteen chapters offer field trips and lectures, informative publications, and an annual convention for its members and the general public.
MOS members participate in projects that contribute to the scientific study of birds, including seasonal bird counts. The Society maintains a statewide system of sanctuaries to preserve bird habitat and to provide places for scientific research and nature study. The MOS Maryland/DC Records Committee certifies sightings of rare species and compiles the official bird lists for Maryland and DC.
Each year, MOS awards scholarships to Maryland educators and grants for ornithological research in the state. We also support youth birding activities through our YMOS young birders program. And very importantly, MOS makes itself heard in Annapolis and Washington to advocate for the protection of wild birds and their habitats.
Most members of MOS area affiliated with a local chapter, although it is possible to join MOS as an at-large member. Most counties in Maryland have an MOS chapter. Some smaller counties have joined to form a single chapter. Below is a list of the fifteen chapters and their corresponding websites.
• Allegany/Garrett: https://mdbirds.org/join/chapters/allegany-garrett-county-bird-club/
• Anne Arundel: https://mdbirds.org/join/chapters/anne-arundel-bird-club/
• Baltimore (city & county): https://baltimorebirdclub.org/
• Caroline: https://mdbirds.org/join/chapters/caroline-county-bird-club/
• Carroll: https://carrollcountybirdclub.com/
• Cecil: http://www.cecilbirds.org/
• Frederick: https://mdbirds.org/join/chapters/frederick-bird-club/
• Harford: http://www.harfordbirdclub.org/
• Howard: http://www.howardbirds.org/
• Kent: https://mdbirds.org/join/chapters/kent-county-bird-club/
• Montgomery: http://www.montgomerybirdclub.org/
• Patuxent (Prince George’s County): https://patuxentbirdclub.org/
• Talbot: https://mdbirds.org/join/chapters/talbot-bird-club/
• Tri-County (Wicomico, Worcester, & Somerset Counties): https://mdbirds.org/join/chapters/tri-county-bird-club/
• Washington County: http://washingtoncountybirdclub.webs.com/
See our list of other local conservation and nature-related organizations.
For Further Reading
We hope that the Birder’s Guide is introducing you to interesting and beautiful places to visit in search of birds. But there is a lot more territory out there. If you want to explore all the nooks and crannies of Maryland and DC where birds are to be found, see our Further Reading page.
MOS is a 501(c)(3) non-profit organization that depends on membership dues and donations to fund our work in support of birds and birders in the State of Maryland. If you are benefiting from using this Birder’s Guide website, please consider making a tax deductible donation to MOS. We’ve made it easy! Just go to https://mdbirds.org/donations/birders-guide-md-dc/ to make a donation online or for instructions on sending a check. We appreciate your support!