Birding Activities in Maryland and DC
- Calendar of field trips, meetings and other activities of MOS and its chapters
- Maryland & DC Birding Google Group (email discussion list)
- MD/DC Birding Facebook page
Bird Checklists and Bird Distribution
- Official Checklist of the Birds of Maryland
- Official Checklist of the Birds of Washington, DC
- Field Checklist of the Birds of Maryland
- The Field List of the Birds of Maryland (aka The Yellowbook), by Marshall J. Illiff, Robert . Ringler, and James L. Stasz; published by the Maryland Ornithological Society, 1996; a 54-page pamphlet with bar charts and county lists, now out of print but available for free online download at https://mdbirds.org/wp-content/uploads/2018/04/Birds-of-MD-FINAL.pdf
- 2nd Atlas of the Breeding Birds of Maryland and the District of Columbia, Walter G. Ellison, Editor; Johns Hopkins Press, Baltimore, 2010.
- Atlas of the Breeding Birds of Maryland and the District of Columbia, Chandler S. Robbins, Senior Editor and Eirik A.T. Blom, Project Coordinator, University of Pittsburgh Press, Pittburgh, 1996.
- Birds of Maryland, Delaware, and the District of Columbia, by Bruce M. Beehler with photography by Middleton Evans; Robert F. Ringler, Technical Editor; Johns Hopkins Press, Baltimore, 2019.
Where to Go Birding – Print Resources
Some of these books are long out of print but available for purchase through Amazon and other online outlets. Some of the material in print publications may be outdated in terms of birds found at particular sites or driving directions. See the next section below for online bird-finding resources, which tend to be more up-to-date.
- A Birder’s Guide to Baltimore and Baltimore County, Maryland, Elliot A. Kirschbaum, Editor; published by the Baltimore Bird Club, Baltimore, a chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society, 1998.
- A Birder’s Guide to Montgomery County, Maryland, Linda Friedland, Editor-in-Chief; published by the Montgomery Bird Club, a chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society,2008.
- Birding Howard County, Maryland, by Joanne K. Solem; published by the Howard County Chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society, 1995.
- Bird Finding in Frederick County, Maryland, by Stauffer Miller; published by the Frederick Chapter of the Maryland Ornithological Society, 1993.
- Finding Birds in the National Capital Area, by Claudia Wilds; Smithsonian Institution Scholarly Press, Washington, DC, 1992.
Where to Go Birding – Online Resources
- MOS Sanctuaries
- Detailed online site guides maintained by MOS chapters
- MD eBird page
- DC eBird page
State Parks and Other Public Lands
- MD Department of Natural Resources Interactive Maps
- MERLIN (Maryland’s Environmental Resource and Land Information Network) – http://dnrweb.dnr.state.md.us/MERLIN/
- Public Angler Access – http://gisapps.dnr.state.md.us/PublicFishingAccess/index.html
- Recreation Atlas – https://geodata.md.gov/recreationatlas/
- Trails Atlas (interactive map) – http://maryland.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=242debcc18ae4057827834b78ddbb83a
- Water Access and Water Trails – https://maryland.maps.arcgis.com/apps/webappviewer/index.html?id=db62ad80097845baba3a4e3f8c1def94
- Trail maps in printable PDF format, geolocator enabled, for State Parks and other areas (list is growing all the time) – http://dnr.maryland.gov/Pages/DNR_TrailMaps.aspx
- Natural Resources near You – http://dnr.maryland.gov/Pages/dnr_nearyou1.aspx
- State Parks – http://dnr.maryland.gov/Publiclands/Pages/parkmap.aspx
- State Forests – http://dnr.maryland.gov/forests/Pages/mdforests.aspx
- Natural Areas and Wildlands – http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/NaturalAreas/home.aspx
- Wildlife Management (Hunting) Areas – http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/publiclands/home.aspx OR http://dnr.maryland.gov/wildlife/Pages/publiclands/allbyregion.aspx
- Chesapeake Forest (Eastern Shore) Public Hunting Areas – http://dnr.maryland.gov/forests/Pages/chesapeakeforests-maps-directions.aspx
- MD Hunting Seasons Calendar – http://dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide/Documents/Hunting_Seasons_Calendar.pdfhttp://dnr.maryland.gov/huntersguide/Documents/Hunting_Seasons_Calendar.pdf
- Fishing – http://dnr.maryland.gov/Fisheries/Pages/maps.aspx
- Boat ramps – https://dnr.maryland.gov/Boating/Pages/water-access/boatramps.aspx
Tip: Even if you don’t boat, paddle, or fish, boat launches and fishing spots can provide birders with valuable access to view water habitats for waterfowl, waders, shorebirds and more.
County and Municipal Parks
- Baltimore County
- Carroll County
- Cecil County
- City of Baltimore
- Harford County
- Howard County
- Montgomery County
- Washington, DC
- Caroline County
- Dorchester County
- Kent County
- Queen Anne’s County
- Somerset County
- Talbot County
- Wicomico County
- Worcester County
Other Park and Preserve Systems
- National Park Service
- National Wildlife Refuge System – Maryland https://www.fws.gov/refuges/profiles/ByState.cfm?state=MD
- National Audubon IBAs – Maryland http://www.audubon.org/important-bird-areas/state/maryland
- Nature Conservancy preserves in MD and DC: http://www.nature.org/ourinitiatives/regions/northamerica/unitedstates/maryland_dc/placesweprotect/index.htm
Online Hiking and Biking Resources for Maryland and DC
HIking and biking resources generally cover a broader spectrum of places than those ordinarily visited by birders, so you might discover some new places to bird.
- AllTrails – https://www.alltrails.com/us/maryland
- Appalachian Trail – http://www.appalachiantrail.org/
- C&D Canal Recreational Trail – https://chesapeakecity.com/cd-canal-recreational-trail/
- C&O Canal Trail – https://www.nps.gov/choh/planyourvisit/hikingandbiking.htm
- Frederick County – https://health.frederickcountymd.gov/151/Walking-Trails
- Garrett County – http://www.garretttrails.org/trails–maps.html
- Mason-Dixon Trail – http://masondixontrail.wixsite.com/mdts
- Montgomery County Interactive Parks and Trails Map: https://mcatlas.org/parks/?find=G12
- Rails to Trails – https://www.railstotrails.org/
- The Hiking Project – https://www.hikingproject.com/directory/8008490/maryland and https://www.hikingproject.com/directory/8011331/washington-dc
- The MTB Project (Mountain Biking) – https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8008490/maryland and https://www.mtbproject.com/directory/8011331/washington-dc
Printed Books on Hiking, Biking, and Paddling in Maryland and DC
Some of the material in older print publications may be outdated in terms of driving directions or amenities, but these books offer detailed insights into a wide variety of parks, trails, and waterways.
- 50 Hikes in Maryland: Walks, Hikes, and Backpacks from the Allegheny Plateau to the Atlantic Ocean, by Leonard M. Atkins; Backcountry Guides, Woodstock, VT, 2000.
- 60 Hikes within 60 Miles: Baltimore, Including Anne Arundel, Baltimore, Carroll, Harford, and Howard Counties, Third Edition, by Allison Sturm; prior edition by Evan Balkan; Menasha Ridge Press, Birmingham, AL, 2019.
- 60 Hikes within 60 Miles: Washington, D.C., Including Suburban and Outlying Areas of Maryland and Virginia, Second Edition, by Renee Sklarew and Rachel Cooper; prior edition by Paul Elliott; Menasha Ridge Press, Birmingham, AL, 2017.
- A Year across Maryland: A Week by Week Guide to Discovering Nature in the Chesapeake Region, by Bryan MacKay; The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 2013.
- Baltimore Trails: A Guide for Hikers and Mountain Bikers, Second Edition, by Bryan MacKay; The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 2008.
- Country Walks near Washington, Second Edition, by Alan Fisher; Rambler Books, Baltimore, 1996.
- Cycle Maryland: A Guide to Bike Paths and Rail Trails, by Bryan MacKay; The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 2018.
- Day Trips in Delmarva: A Guide to Southern Delaware and the Eastern Shore of Maryland and Virginia, by Alan Fisher; Rambler Books, Baltimore, 1992.
- Hike Maryland: A Guide to the Scenic Trails of the Free State, by Bryan MacKay; The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 2018.
- Hiking Maryland and Delaware: A Guide to the States’ Greatest Day Hiking Adventures, Third Edition, by David Lillard and revised by Terry Cummings; Falcon Press, Guilford, CT, 2014.
- Maryland and Delaware Canoe Trails: A Paddler’s Guide to Rivers of the Old Line and First States, Third Edition, by Edward Gertler; Seneca Press, Silver Spring, MD, 1989.
- Nature’s Calendar: A Year in the Life of a Wildlife Sanctuary, by Colin Rees; The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 2019. (Note: The sanctuary covered in this book is Jug Bay Wetlands Sanctuary in Anne Arundel County.)
- Paddle Maryland: A Guide to Rivers, Creeks, and Water Trails, by Bryan MacKay; The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 2018.
- Paddling Maryland and Washington, DC: A Guide to the Area’s Greatest Paddling Adventures, by Jeff Lowman; Falcon Press, Guilford, CT, 2015.
- Quiet Water Mid-Atlantic: AMC’s Canoe and Kayak Guide to the Best Ponds, Lakes, and Easy Rivers, from Pennsylvania to Virginia, by Rachel Cooper; published by the Appalachian Mountain Club, Boston, 2018.
- Rail-Trails Mid-Atlantic: The Definitive Guide to Multiuse Trails in Delaware, Maryland, Virginia, Washington, D.C., and West Virginia, Second Edition, by The Rails-to-Trails Conservancy; Wilderness Press, Birmingham, AL, 2015.
- The Baltimore Trail Book, by Suzanne Meyer Mittenthal, Revised Edition edited by James W. Poultney; The Johns Hopkins University Press, Baltimore, 1983.
- Walks and Rambles on the Delmarva Peninsula: A Guide for Hikers and Naturalists, by Jay Abercrombie; Backcountry Publications, Woodstock, VT, 1993.
- MD State Highway Map in PDF printable format: https://www.roads.maryland.gov/OPPEN/Highway_Front.pdf and https://www.roads.maryland.gov/OPPEN/Highway_Back.pdf
- MD County Road Maps in interactive as well as PDF printable format: https://www.roads.maryland.gov/Index.aspx?PageId=705
- MD Municipal Maps for incorporated towns and cities in interactive as well as PDF printable format: https://www.roads.maryland.gov/Index.aspx?PageId=834
- Other printable MD maps: http://data-maryland.opendata.arcgis.com/pages/mdot-printed-maps-docs