Montgomery County Birders, Birds, and Birding Over the Years. Michael Bowen will host a panel discussion on Montgomery County birders, birds, and birding over the years.
Whether you are a lifelong MoCo birder, brand new to the county, or somewhere in between, this meeting will certainly offer a wide range of perspectives and experiences from our host and panelists.
● Don Messersmith, MOS historian, will discuss the development of birding in MoCo and of the Montgomery County Chapter of MOS (now the MBC). Don wrote a lead chapter on this subject for the chapter’s Birders’ Guide to Montgomery County, Maryland (both 1st and 2nd editions).
● Linda Friedland, past President of MBC, will discuss the rise in number and breadth of the chapter’s field trips over the years. Linda has been responsible for the expansion of both numbers of trips and birding areas visited.
● Frank Witebsky, past President of MBC, will discuss the changes in bird habitat and publicly accessible birding places in the county, which we all know have been substantial. Frank has been helped in his research by input from Marcia Watson of the parent MOS, guru of the MOS on-line birding area web site.
● Janet Millenson will discuss the MOS and its relationships with MoCo and other chapters in the state. Janet was a State Director from our chapter as well as a President of MOS.
● Jim Nelson, past President of MBC, will discuss changes in the county’s bird life over the years, as reflected in the results of each year’s Seneca Christmas Bird Count. Jim has a keen interest in how CBC counts have changed over time and is the current Seneca CBC compiler.
Please register at https://forms.gle/WLJMPjuVbMA2kuV4A